Julia Gillard is the new Prime Minister of Australia after Kevin Rudd put his leadership to vote



JULIA Gillard has been sworn in as Prime Minister of Australia, after saying she had to "take control and to ensure that the government got back on track".

"It was necessary for me to take this step to take control and to ensure that the government got back on track,'' Ms Gillard said, adding it was a view she had come to in recent days.

Ms Gillard said she would be fighting the next election with "every ounce'' of her being.

"I took this step in part because I was so determined, so determined, to make sure at the next election this nation does not endorse a path that would see cutbacks to our schools, jeopardising the thing that I most profoundly believe in,'' she said.

Ms Gillard promised to pull the controversial, government-funded mining tax ads and declared that she would not move into the Lodge unless she was elected Prime Minister at a general election.

Ms Gillard said she accepted her new role with "the greatest humility, resolve and enthusiasm''.

At a media conference in Parliament House, Ms Gillard told a fevered contingent of media she was "truly honoured'' to become prime minister, after Kevin Rudd stood aside.

"Can I say Australians one and all, it's with the greatest, humility, resolve and enthusiasm that I sought the endorsement of my colleagues to be the Labor leader and to be the prime minister for this country,'' she said.
"I have accepted that endorsement.''

"I am utterly committed to the service of our people,'' she said.

The Welsh-born Ms Gillard grew up in South Australia. There, she said, her parents taught her the value of hard work, respect and doing your bit for the community. "It is these values that will guide me as Australia's prime minister,'' she said.

Source: couriermail.com.au

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Recent Post

sites